However, most people can't seem to follow it. We spend so much time taking care of others that we forget to enjoy a few moments for ourselves. And we forget to take care of ourselves (inside and out).
I can completely relate to this. It's the end of February, and when I'm not spending my nights with my nose in a textbook, I am out with friends or family. I sometimes forget what it even feels like to relax just by myself, and not be exhausted.
This past week, we have had off from school due to the 8 inches of snow and negative temperatures our lovely Virginia has had. You would think I relaxed for a bit. Wrong. I stayed up until 1 AM most nights doing random busy work, studying for tests, and working on projects. So I finally found a hobby; blogging. I made this blog Friday at about midnight (hence, my first blog post is about midnight) to have some "me time" and do something I enjoy.
Last night I tried going to bed early (9 PM but I fell asleep at like 11), but I woke up this morning with a cold. So here I am, sitting in my bed, typing away. Maybe I should stop typing and take a nap...but I have more things to do. Oops.
But about an hour ago, I made a cup of hot chocolate, and sat right by the fireplace. It sure does feel good knowing I took a nice little break (I absolutely love my snowman mug).
What I can assure you is that taking even just 10 minutes off is the best feeling ever. Here are some of my tips on how to relax:
- Plug in headphones, and play Taylor Swift's 1989 album. Or any music you like. Blocking out the world for a while can let you think and take your mind off things.
- Bake. Whether you bake double chocolate cookies or a pan of lemon bars, it is worth it. Those extra calories are a treat you deserve after a long day.
- Work out. This may not seem like the most fun, but getting fit will make you feel good on the inside. Taking care of yourself is super important.
- Read a book. Grab that book in the back of your shelf and crack it open. Living vicariously through Harry's life at Hogwarts is worth it, trust me.
- Take a nap. This is the most simple one. Just sleep for a bit. Most teenagers or adults never think of taking a nap, but waking up refreshed will certainly make you feel better.
Always remember; remember to love yourself.
These 5 tips have definitely helped me cope with stress. Let me know of some other ways to relax!